KhPI – the first technical college in the Ukrainian provinces of the Russian Empire and the second technological institute of the empire. The decision to open was taken in the 1870s.
The Institute was inaugurated on September 15, 1885 as a practical technological institute with two branches – mechanical and chemical, for which only 125 people were admitted. The organizer and first director of the institute was the well-known scientist in the field of mechanics and resistance of materials, the honored professor VL Kirpichov (who was never an academician).
At the time of the opening, 17 professors were planned to work at the institute: 10 professors and 7 associate professors. In fact, in 1885 there were 5 teachers, and from January 1886 – six.
In 1898, KPTI, in connection with the deepening of theoretical education, was renamed the Technological Institute of Emperor Alexander III.
In 1921, the Institute opened the first faculty in Ukraine, and in 1923, at the request of students, teachers and staff of the institute, he was named after Lenin. In 1929 the Technological Institute. Lenin is transformed into a polytechnic institute named after Lenin.
In 1930, on the basis of individual faculties of the Institute, five independent universities were created: mechanical engineering (in 1949 it was merged with the Institute), electrotechnical (unified), chemical-technological (also integrated), engineering (HISI), aviation (KhAI ), HADI.
During the Second World War, more than three thousand teachers, students and staff of the institutes went into the ranks of the Red Army. In the evacuation (Krasnoufimsk and Chirchik), the institute not only continued the training of engineering personnel, but also solved serious scientific problems related to strengthening the country’s defense capability. So Noskov BA (later – a professor) during the war worked as the chief metallurgist of the plant. For the development of steel for the T-34 tank, he was awarded as part of the creative team of the State Prize of the USSR, which he contributed to the Defense Fund. Associate Professor of KhMMI S.F. Vasilenko became a major general.
On the basis of four universities in 1949 mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, electrotechnical and the institute of the cement industry were united and on their basis the Polytechnic Institute named after MV Lomonosov was restored. Of VI Lenin. The rector was Semko M.F., doctor of technical sciences, professor, Hero of Socialist Labor, who worked for 30 years as the permanent rector of the KhPI.
During the years of Soviet power, the institute trained over 120,000 specialists (before the revolution – 2400). Many graduates of the Institute became Heroes of the Soviet Union and Socialist Labor, prominent scientists and statesmen, laureates of the Lenin and State Prizes.
In April 1994, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine awarded the Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute the status of the State Polytechnic University.
In 2000, by the decree of the President of Ukraine, KhPPU was granted the status of the National (NTU “KhPI”).
NTU “KhPI” was awarded three orders: Lenin (1967), October Revolution (1985), Vietnamese Order “Friendship” (1978).
NTU “KHPI”, accredited at the highest IV level, provides training for specialists in 73 specialties for the day and 40 for correspondence courses.
Today NTU “KhPI” has the highest licensed admissions in the Eastern and Southern Ukraine (4377 places in full-time form, more than 4,104 places by correspondence) and state order (in 2002 – 1920 seats in day time, 220 in correspondence department).
There are 21 full-time faculty departments at the University, correspondence faculty, pre-university training faculty, a foreign citizens training center, an interbranch institute for advanced training, and three research and design institutes.
The NTU “KhPI” includes the Guards Institute of Tank Forces named after the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine and the Kharkov Computer Technological College (until 2011 – the Stankoinstrumental College). The university is staffed by a faculty, which is about 1300 people. Among them – 160 doctors of science, professors, 760 associate professors, candidates of sciences.